BreakOut 2019 – Code of Honour
Despite the social component in the foreground, BreakOut is also a competition for the participants. And where there is competition, there is also something to win:
- The team that travels the farthest distance (as the crow flies) from the starting point after 36 hours.
- The team that has collected the most donations through kilometers and challenges.
- The team that reached the highest BreakOut-Score, which includes the most donations per kilometer.
In addition, there are many other prizes, such as for most postings, the best destination photo or the best travel video. Even if you don’t get any of the prizes, you will still win unforgettable experiences and a cool story. Eternally honored are teams who leave the European continent or ride on a camel. We have to beat the last year's winners! - And please come back safely; the instructions from the German Foreign Office could be helpful.
There is a Code of Honour, which allows us to have a fair competition and as much fun as possible.
Donation Code of Honour
- In addition to traveling and the fun BreakOut means, we want to do something good: Together with you and Zeltschule e.V., we support Syrian refugees in Lebanon. The crocodile school will receive the money and is oing to teach the kids for one year. Also Zeltschule e.V. provides the families in the camps with food and medicine.
- Therefore, each team has to organize at least one team supporter. The more team supporters, the better! This can be your rich aunt, a dear grandma or your favorite restaurant - or the company where you work(ed).
- For each team there is a minimum donation goal of 100 €. Each team gives a deposit of 20 €, which will be refunded upon reaching the goal. (Last year, the average donation per team was almost 1000 €. So don’t worry, it’s easy to reach).
- You take responsibility for your team supporters and are responsible for assuring that they transfer the promised donation.
Travel Code of Honour
- The exciting part about BreakOut is spending NO money on traveling. So come as far as possible within 36 hours - and for free!
- This rule does not apply to food, drinks and accommodation. Whether you are on the road, in a tent, with friends, the newly acquainted ride or just no sleep at all, its up to you. All incurring costs are decided by you, the same applies for the return journey costs.
- During the trip you can get bought tickets from other people. However, it is important that a ticket is paid directly by ONE person, so you have nothing to do with the money. It is not allowed to collect money, neither by another person on behalf of you.
- In order to move, every kind of transportation is permitted. Whether it's classic hitchhiking by car, by train through the country or over water in a boat - as long as you spend no money your creativity has no limit - insider hint: No one has ever ridden on a camel (yet!).
- No agreements may be made in advance. Also not if your grandmother "coincidentally" makes a trip to Sweden.
Behavioral Code of Honor
- Please be careful with hitchhiking and look well at the cars and drivers before entering.
- At any time of the day and at any degree of latitude, it is important to be respectful towards all creatures and foreign cultures. It is required to double-check the rules and laws in other countries before you travel, especially when hitchhiking.
- And last but definitely not least: Your travel partner and you - you are a team. You stay together and do not separate. In addition, your traveled distance in the end only counts, if you two smile together on the goal photo.
BreakOut Appcode of Honour
- Please send us your position after every change of transportation, after each country border and/or at least every three hours - if possible with text and photo - so that your fans can follow you live at home. Of course you can turn your mobile phone off between goodnight and good-morning posts.
- At the very end, when the last grains of sand trickle through the hour-glass, you must post a finish line photo to commemorate the end of the best, most exciting and extraordinary 36 hours of your life with you (preferably in a BreakOut Tshirt) at your final destination.
- Whether this is the Alexanderplatz in Berlin, the Acropolis in Athens, or a fisherman’s wharf in Sweden, it's up to you!