How does BreakOut work?
Before the start
- Find a team partner
- Register online by May 8th + pay the registration fee of 20 € (+ 10 € deposit) per person
- Find sponsors for your team
In 2017 BreakOut supports the Jambo Bukoba e.V. as a partner organization. By educationally trained sports instructors, 482.000 pupils have been exposed to topics such as equality and health, which has improved the educational situation in a sustainable way. The cool part: 100% of your donations are going to the charity organization Jambo Bukoba e.V. and helping children in Tanzania.
Your journey starts on Thursday, 25th MAY, at 9am. During the following 36 hours you will try to get as far away as possible without spending money for transport, e.g. by hitch-hiking. Be creative and negotiate! Your commitment may well make the difference between your garden and Paris!
The first option to collect donations is to decide upon a rate, such as 10¢ / km. Then if you arrive in, for example, Brussels, which is 600km from Munich, your sponsor will donate 60 Euros to the charity organization.
Another option to donate is for your sponsors to assign you challenges for previously agreed upon donations, for example, go swimming in the Atlantic for 10 Euros to be donated.
A few days after the event, all team sponsors will receive an email stating their donation promise and information on the donation payment. Likewise, all teams will receive and overview of their collected donations. We ask all teams to remind their sponsors of transfering their donation to support Jambo Bukoba e. V.
Bring the victory to your home city and win in several categories, for example:
- Largest distance (air line)
- Most money raised
- Most countries visited
- Best documentation (e.g. video)
Infinitely honoured will be those who reach another continent, go further than 10,000 km or travel by camel, unicorn or ship.
BreakOut registration starts on the 10th of April at midnight. Until then you can search for a team partner, as the BreakOut trip is only possible in pairs. During the registration process you will be informed about our Code of Honour and participant responsibilities. Additionally, you will pay a deposit, which will be paid back to you when you successfully collect donations for your team. So, your BreakOut adventure is almost underway!
You are not allowed to make any arrangements before the trip, but nevertheless you can prepare a lot:
- You need a smartphone with Apple iOS or Android and mobile internet in all countries in which you want to travel. We recommend about 250 MB. The best is to contact your provider to discuss data roaming possibilities. On the other hand, you can plan your trip (routes, hostels, sightseeing, etc.) as well as use the BreakOut app so that your fans at home can follow your progress and you can also see what the other teams are doing.
- An additional battery for your smartphone and a car charger is recommended.
- "Hitchwiki.org Phrasebook", "ForeverMap2" or "Scout" could be helpful apps.
- You can find tips for hitchhiking on these websites: "hitchwiki.org", "hitchbase.com", "anhalterfreunde.de" or "trampen.veitkuehne.de" for example.
- Depending on what you are planning to do, you should think about a sleeping bag, sun screen, or swimming trunks. But a little hint: You have to carry everything you take with you. So better small and fast …
The two ways to collect donations consist of: The first option is to decide upon a rate, such as 10¢ / km. Then if you arrive in, for example, Brussels, which is 600km from Munich, your sponsor will donate 60 Euros to the charity organization. The second option is for your sponsors to assign you challenges for previously agreed upon donations, for example, go swimming in the Atlantic for 10 Euros to be donated. Your sponsors are very important, they are the reason for people to bring you along or help you out on your BreakOut adventure! Anyone can be your sponsor: Start with your family and friends, and then visit some local companies or shops in your area. You can also have a few smaller sponsors, that, for example only give 2¢ / km – Every little bit helps! Finding sponsors is easier than you think. Here are a few tips:
- Bars and restaurants are good sponsors, contacting them in person will give you the best chance of getting their support.
- Use your social network and invite your friends through Facebook to give you challenges.
- To make your potential sponsor aware of BreakOut you can use the attached documents.
- Its best to search for sponsors together, it makes it more fun and is also more credible.
- Get your potential sponsor excited about BreakOut and tell them why you are participating. Bring some BreakOut flyers or project descriptions with.
- It is also helpful to bring along the sponsor letter and printed out donation contract to fill out on the spot. Don’t forget to fill it out online afterwards.
- Important to know: The distance from your start location as the crow flies is what counts, not the traveled distance.
- Explain that 100% of the donations are going to Jambo Bukoba e.V.
- Benefits for the sponsors: You can name your team after a sponsor, carry their logo around and use their products in your posts during the adventure. During the event, the website will be visited by thousands of people who want to follow the teams. The winning team could be written about in the regional and nationwide press.
- All sponsors can get a donation receipt so that the donation can be deducted from their taxes.
- Sponsors can also remain anonymous if desired.
Your sponsors can register immediately once the registration window opens. If you and your sponsor have already agreed upon a donation, you can fill out the form offline (download here!) and then enter it yourself online. IMPORTANT: Make sure all of your sponsors are registered, so that they appear correctly in the app! Try and get all of your sponsors registered online until the start. Challenges can also be added during the event, which will then appear directly in the app.
Download our apps for iOS and Android in order to easily share our posts and status updates.