Terms of Participation 2017
These are the conditions of participation for all participants.
“BreakOut - How Far Can You Go?!” (following “BreakOut” or "Organizer") is designed as a travel competition. Teams consisting of two members, try to travel as far from the start location as they can within 36 hours without using their own money. Beforehand negotiated donations are collected during BreakOut by the teams.
By entering and participating in BreakOut, you agree to be bound by these Terms of Participation and represent that you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements below.
1. Prerequisites for attending
- Please note that the official language of BreakOut will be German.
- Only persons of full age are allowed to participate in BreakOut. Minors, who register als participants, can be excluded from the event without reimbursement.
- Only person with valid passport and/ or travel documents as well as any required visas are allowed to participate in BreakOut.
- Participants in BreakOut will be required to take out travel insurance at their own expense.
- Each participant is entering BreakOut at her/his own risk. For example travel, food, accommodation, insurance and security. The journey happens voluntarily and at your own risk.
- Participating in BreakOut is only permitted in a 2-member-team. Only one entry per person, per team is allowed. Further, only natural persons are allowed to participate.
- At least one member of the team has to have the working BreakOut-App on its internet and gps-signal compatible mobile device in order to participate in BreakOut.
- The organizer can check the e-mail address at any time, the age and the identity details specified by the participant. Incorrect information that occur during BreakOut, result in exclusion of participation.
- Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt registrations will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Recourse to the courts is not permitted.
- It is at the discretion of the organizer to exclude participants or teams from participation due to disregard of the conditions of participation or misconduct, without giving further reasons. There is no claim for reimbursement.
- Registration is only possible from 10th of April 2017 until 8th of May 2017.
- Before BreakOut starts every team is bound to find at least one sponsor. The sponsor is committed to donate the previously negotiated sum either per kilometer travelled (linear distance) by the team or per challenge accomplished by the team.
- In order to complete the registration every entrant is bound to create a user account on the website www.break-out.org/anmeldung by entering email and password. After that, registering as a participant by filling out the online formular is necessary. In case of completion it is possible to either create a new team or to join an existing team. After creating or joining a team, the payment of the registration fee and donation deposit is due.
- Specifically, we require for registration following personal details: First name, last name telephone number, gender, email address, tshirt size, mobile phone number, emergency number.
- For participating in BreakOut, a registration fee of 20,00€ per entrant has to be paid. It is used to provide every participant with one BreakOut-T-Shirt per person, one Starter-Kit per Team and reserves. The registration fee is non-refundable.
- In the process of registration every team has to deposit an amount of 20,00€ which is repaid in case of achieving or exceeding the minimum donation amount of 100,00€ gathered from sponsors. If the minimum donation amount cannot be reached the deposit is fully donated to Jambo Bukoba e.V..
- The payment data will be announced during the registration process.
The registration is successful if:
- Each team member was registered,
- A team of two participants was registered,
- The amount of € 60.00 per team was transferred and
- Each team member received the confirmation mail about the payment received.
- BreakOut starts from Geschwister-Scholl-Platz, 80539 Munich, from Ernst-Reuter-Platz, 10587 Berlin and from Barcelona (location to be announced), at 9.00 am on the 25th of May.
- The goal of BreakOut is to get as far away as possible from the starting point within 36 hours in teams of two. It is forbidden to use own or collect money for transportation. Even third parties are not allowed to collect money for the team. Further regulations can be found in the Code of Honour.
- With the help of sponsors, each team collects donations, 100% of which go to the respective charity. In the season 2017 it is donated to Jambo Bukoba e. V. (see 2.2).
- On the 25th of May from 7.30 a.m. till 8.30 a.m. every team needs to check in. Participants are required to register on the spot during this check-in phase.
- During the check-in process every team confirms its fitness to travel by registering and gets in return one Starter-Kit per team and one T-Shirt per team member.
- It is required to show up the latest at 8 a.m. at the starting point.
- In case a Participant does not show up on time for on-site check-in at the designated Starting Point, his/her entire team will have forfeited the right to participate and will have no right to claim a refund. The Organizer can decide to make an exception.
- The Organizer is allowed to carry out last minute announcements, photos and marketing measures before the start of the event.
- During BreakOut, every team has to travel together with its two members at all times.
- At no point will the organizer cover possible costs of travel. Specifically, this includes costs of returning.
- The use of one’s own vehicles or vehicles owned by friends or family members is not allowed. This includes free air miles, travel vouchers, student tickets or similar. The team has to render an account of its itinerary.
- During BreakOut a picture has to be sent via the BreakOut-App showing both team members with the T-Shirts at the final destination.
- It is strictly forbidden to accept money for travel or as a donation.
- Every team has to send location updates when crossing a border, changing vehicles and in any other case, every three hours. A team has to post before going to sleep and in the morning. These measures are for your own safety. Data Roaming Costs are in the responsibility of the team.
- During the 36 hours the participants can reach the Organizer by phone at the BreakOut headquarter. The phone number will be announced at the start.
- Publishing location updates is on the team’s own authority and the team may be held accountable for that. Teams are responsible for the content and the publication of the posting messages themselves and can be held liable for this. The organizer reserves the right to delete messages with e.g. violent, sexist, pornographic, racist, demagogic, trademark-infringing content.
- BreakOut ends at 9.00 pm on the 26th of May 2017.
- Awards will be announced in the category “highest donation amount” and “longest distance”.
- The organizer reserves the right to award other, additional prizes and to change the awards and/or replace any or all awards.
- The winner in the particular category will be announced via email and social media channels.
- The award ceremony takes place separately in the three starting point cities Munich, Berlin and Barcelona and is organized by the organizer.
5. Data Protection
- The participant hereby confirms that the Personal Data entered in connection with BreakOut is accurate and up to date.
- By accepting these Terms of Participation, you agree that BreakOut may process your Personal Data itself or through outside data processors who will process data on its behalf in accordance with all relevant data protection regulations.
- Only the first name, surname, team name and email address will be passed on to third parties. This applies in particular to the awarding of prizes and press releases.
- The participant accepts, in accordance with § 22 KUG, that photographs, videos and sound recordings taken during the start and the victory celebration of BreakOut may be used for the public work free of charge and over all distribution paths, like social media, in the original and edited way by the organizer.
- By sending pictures and content via the BreakOut-App the participant agrees to its publishing on the website www.break-out.org and online channels, like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram und YouTube, and also public relations of the Organizer.
- At any time, the Participant has the right to request information about the Personal Data the Organizer is keeping on him.
- The organizer reserves the right to cancel BreakOut, to postpone it or to set a new date. Reasons for this can be: force majeure, faultless obstacles, the local or personal security situation. Any claims of the participant in such cases are excluded.
- The Participant is responsible to check that her/his gear is in good working condition, properly maintained and suitable for BreakOut.
- The participants themselves are liable for any self-caused and suffered damages during the event, which are not due to grossly negligent behavior of the organizer.
- Participants are required to receive information from the Federal Foreign Office of the Federal Republic of Germany and observe visa regulations, rules and conventions of the different countries.
- The organizer is not liable for the truthfulness of the donor's use of the donation as well as for compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- The organizer shall endeavor to provide a functioning infrastructure, but shall not be liable for technical errors or interruptions in the provision of the BreakOut App and Website.
- Obvious errors and mistakes (including misprints) are not binding.
7. Code of Honor
The Participant is required to read and agree to the Code of Honour. Any infringement against the Code of Honour or these Terms of Participation may, in the sole discretion of the Organizer, lead to disqualification from the participation without any claim to refund whatsoever regarding the registration fee and/or other incurred costs.
Travel Code of Honor
- The exciting part about BreakOut is spending NO money on traveling. So to come as far as possible within 36 hours - and for free!
- This rule does not apply to food, drinks and accommodation. Whether you are on the road, in a tent, with friends, the newly acquainted ride or just no sleep at all, its up to you. All incurring costs are decided by you, the same applies for the return journey costs.
- During the trip you can get bought tickets from other people. However, it is important that a ticket is paid directly by ONE person, so you have nothing to do with the money. It is not allowed to collect money, neither by another person on behalf of you.
- In order to move, every kind of transportation is permitted. Whether it's classic hitchhiking by car, by train through the country or over water in a boat - as long as you spend no money your creativity has no limit - insider hint: No one has ever ridden on a camel (yet!).
- No agreements may be made in advance. Also not if your grandmother "coincidentally" makes a trip to Sweden.
Donation Code of Honor
- In addition to traveling and the fun BreakOut means, we want to do something good: Together with you and Jambo Bukoba e.V., we support Tanzanian children and young people in their school day. Especially different projects, such as the improvement of hygienic conditions or the reconstruction of schools after the 2016 earthquake.
- Therefore, each team has to organize at least one sponsor. The more sponsors, the better! This can be your rich aunt, a dear grandma or your favorite restaurant - or the company where you work(ed).
- For each team there is a minimum donation goal of 100 €. Each team gives a deposit of 20 €, which will be refunded upon reaching the goal. (Last year, the average donation per team was 1000 €. So don’t worry, it’s easy to reach).
- You take responsibility for your sponsors and are responsible for assuring that they transfer the promised donation.
Behavioral Code of Honor
- Please be careful with hitchhiking and look well at the cars and drivers before entering.
- At any time of the day and at any degree of latitude, it is important to be respectful towards all creatures and foreign cultures. It is required to double-check the rules and laws in other countries before you travel, especially when hitchhiking.
- And last but definitely not least: Your travel partner and you - you are a team. You stay together and do not separate. In addition, your traveled distance in the end only counts, if you two smile together on the goal photo.
BreakOut Appcode of Honor
- Please send us your position after every change of transportation, after each country border and/or at least every three hours - if possible with text and photo - so that your fans can follow you live at home. Of course you can turn your mobile phone off between goodnight and good-morning posts.
- At the very end, when the last grains of sand trickle through the hour-glass, you must post a finish line photo to commemorate the end of the best, most exciting and extraordinary 36 hours of your life with you (preferably in a BreakOut Tshirt) at your final destination.
- Whether this is the Alexanderplatz in Berlin, the Acropolis in Athens, or a fisherman’s wharf in Sweden, it's up to you!
In case of doubt the german version of the Terms of Participation and german law is applied. The place of jurisdiction is Munich.
Should individual provisions of these Terms of Participation be invalid or unenforceable or become invalid or unenforceable after conclusion of the contract, the validity of the contract shall remain unaffected. The ineffective or impracticable provision shall be replaced by the effective and enforceable provision whose effects are closest to the spirit of the agreement which the contracting parties have followed with the ineffective or unenforceable provision. The foregoing provisions shall apply mutatis mutandis in the event that the contract proves to be incomplete.
BreakOut may at any time and without notice change the conditions of participation and supplement.
All changes take effect immediately.
It is the responsibility of each user to review the latest version of the Terms of Participation. The use of the services of BreakOut means recognition of the latest version of the Terms of Participation.